Oh, duuuuude! Just when I thought everything was getting squared away – I’m checking off my Minimum Skill Requirements (I leveled up from red to yellow!), got 24 laps in 5 minutes (on my way to 27 in 5!), and missed only ONE answer on my WFTDA written test (and that’s up for debate, really) – they had to do it. Starting April 1, the new WFTDA rules go into effect. Wait?!? What new rules??? Well, unlike me, YOU’RE not going to worry about it too much, because I’ve been doing some homework for you. I’ve scoured the Interwebs and found some resources for you to help answer all the necessary questions you’re sure to be asking yourselves right now (e.g., 30-second penalties? Flopping? Single point of transfer for star passes?). So are you ready to put your learning panties on over your helmet? Good! Head on over to these sites to get all the details about the new rules:
- WFTDA’s New Rules Site: Get the summary of new rules from WFTDA here.
- You Should Be Watching More Roller Derby Footage: The major WFTDA/MRDA rules changes in gifs. There’s a link for each rule change!!! Awesome site!
But if you want to know what people are saying about the rules changes – whether they like them or not and how they are changing the game, check out these blogs:
- Derby Life: Top 10 impacts of WFTDA’s New 30-Second Penalties
- Little Anecdote: Frisky Sour gives her opinion of the new WFTDA rules.
- Great Call, Ref!: Thoughts on the new rules by a roller derby referee.
- Roller Derby Jesus: The confessions of a promoter and life observer.
Ahhhhh. Now that my panic attack about the new rules is over, I hope that we can just all calm down a bit. It’s not really that big a deal, right? Cool. I’m going to grab a white Russian and watch The Big Lebowski. Again. And while I’m at it, why don’t YOU leave me a comment and let me know what you think of the new rules? Thanks!